Regent Street Shop
St. Dunstan's shop opened by retail tycoon Gordon Selfridge, founder of Selfridges.
In the summer of 1922, a St. Dunstan's shop was opened by retail tycoon, Gordon Selfridge, founder of Selfridges. The charity shop was situated on Regent Street and its popular location naturally meant that it would attract a robust clientele. Unlike the usual charity shops at the time, the store sold items such as baskets, trays and mats that were handmade by our blind veterans.
When Selfridge arrived at the store he was greeted by our then President, Lady (Arthur) Pearson and Chairman at the time, Captain Ian Fraser. The Duchess of Hamilton, Lady Emmott and Princess Mary were also in attendance. Selfridge's belief and trust in St. Dunstan's was clear cut: there was no doubt in his mind that the shop wouldn't succeed.
The window displays were opulent and grand and "flooded with a brilliant light" while the shop itself boasted Cable and Turkey wool rugs. It was said that many customers expressed the views that the shop was the most aesthetically appealing showroom in all of London. We were selling good-quality items that were attractively finished and loved by many. In 1927, the shop moved to Raglan Street in Kentish Town, London.
Legendary entertainer, George Formby serenades our blind veterans.
We take a look at how Blind Veterans UK became involved in the development of 'The Long Cane.'
In the summer of 2012, three of our blind veterans had the chance to carry the Olympic Torch.
St. Dunstan's Fantastic Four, blinded in the war but brought together by a common passion - darts!