Northgate House is a special property in our charity's history, providing a fun place for the children of blind veterans to stay while their parents trained at the Brighton centre.
In 1946, we had increasing number of veterans attending our centre in Ovingdean for training, having been blinded in the Second World War. Soon the number of trainees exceeded the sleeping accommodation, so it was necessary to acquire another property. Northgate House is situated in the neighbouring village of Rottingdean. At first it was used for additional accomodation but soon after became the base for massage trainees for a small amound of time, a popular career for blind veterans.
In 1947, Blind Veterans UK received a £131,000 grant from the RAF - which today would amount to about £5million! This amount was raised throughout 1946, from an appeal to home and overseas RAF stations. It was decided that the money was to be spread across several projects, one of which was to renovate Northgate house into a children's holiday home. The idea was that children of veterans visiting the centre in Ovingdean could bring their children to Northgate house where they would be looked after for a day or a longer period of time. The house catered for girls aged 3-14 and boys aged 3-12. The holiday home was officially opened on 22 January 1948.
For thirty years we had a train baring our name, travelling all over the country.
This year we are celebrating 100 years of Blind Veterans UK, this is how we celebrated our 75th birthday..
"In those days, it was no uncommon thing for Royalties and other personages and celebrities to visit St. Dunstan's."
Peter discovered his talent for blind archery through Blind Veterans UK, he has been supported by the charity since 2010.
In a drawing presented to us specially by a famous Punch cartoonist, this depiction of the Angel of Mons embodies the hope provided by Blind Veterans UK.