76
/ 100

Church Stretton Plaque

A plaque to mark the strong relationship between the town of Church Stretton and St Dunstan's.

Church Stretton Plaque

 

A plaque was unveiled in October of 1987 as an expression of gratitude from St Dunstan's to the people of  Church Stretton for the warm friendship they gave blinded veterans and their families .

In 1940, St Dunstan's, now Blind Veterans UK, relocated it's services from Brighton to Church Stretton, in Shropshire, as result of the Second World War, staying there for six years. Although the locals were doubtful and apprehensive of the arrival of "blinded soldiers", the charity received a wonderful welcome. 

700 blinded service men and women were trained in Church Stretton, many learning new manufacturing skills on lathes and presses to enable them to go on to factory work.

The plaque is carved in wood with the lettering picked out in gold leaf and beneath, handmade by Norman French, is braille representation of the wording. The plaque now resides in the Church of St Laurence.

 Church Stretton Plaque