Brighton Chapel Stained Glass Window
The glass was originally placed in the chapel at our centre at West House, Brighton, and was later transferred to the new chapel where it remains today.
The chapel at Ovingdean, like the rest of the building, was designed by architect Francis Lorne. Now officially called St Dunstan's Chapel, it was opened on 25th October 1938 by the Right Reverend George Bell, Bishop of Chichester. There was a smaller Roman Catholic chapel on the 4th floor of the building.
A number of our blind veterans have themselves been ordained and taken services in the chapel. These include the Reverend Harold Gibb who served in France in the First World War as an Army Chaplain, acting against the wishes of the Archbishop of Canterbury in enlisting. He was severely wounded and blinded, and came to us in September 1917.
It is through Rev. Gibb that the chapel has a piece of sixteenth century glass from the original Cloth Hall at Ypres, which was ruined by artillery fire in the First World War. The glass was recovered by Captain Percy Palmer of the Welsh Guards, and was later presented by his widow to Rev. Gibb; with her agreement, he gave it to us. It was initially placed in our chapel in our earlier centre in Brighton, West House, and was later transferred to the new chapel, where it remains to this day.
2013 saw the arrival of bees at our Llandudno centre. However, this is not the first time that Blind Veterans UK has been involved with bees.
The only Victoria Cross awarded to a blind veteran.
A memorial tribute to our founder, Sir Arthur Pearson.
Over one hundred blind veterans from the First World War were trained to become telephone operators.
The memorial that signifies the strong friendship between United Kingdom and Holland.
Blind veteran, Ted Miller, from Leamington Spa, had his stunning doll houses featured on BBC Television.
The history of joinery and carpentry at St Dunstan's.
Dancing was a not only a form of excercise for the blind veterans but was also the most popular indoor recreation at St Dunstan's.
Blind veteran sets up his own business repairing boots and making clogs.
A celebratory concert in honour of St Dunstan's After Care work.
A plaque to mark the strong relationship between the town of Church Stretton and St Dunstan's.
A beautiful sculpture presented to the owners of St Dunstan's Lodge by Sir Arthur Pearson.
Blind veteran Maria Pikulski completes a wing walk.
A memorial commemorating Blind Veterans UK Chairman, Lord Ian Fraser.